"'And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them...' (Luke 22:19 NIV) [...]
In the original language, 'He gave thanks' reads 'eucharisteo.' The root word of eucharisteo is charis, meaning 'grace.' Jesus took the bread and saw it as grace and gave thanks.
He took the bread and knew it to be gift and gave thanks.
But there is more, and I read it. Eucharisteo, thanksgiving, envelopes the Greek word for grace, charis.
But is also holds its derivative, the reek word chara, meaning 'joy.'[...]
Was this the clue to the quest of all most important?
Deep chara joy is found only at the table of the euCHARisteo - the table of thanksgiving.
I sit there long...wondering...is it that simple? [...] The joy wonder could be here!
Here, in the mess, piercing ache of now, joy might be - unbelievably - possible!
The only place we need see before we die is this place of seeing God, Here and now [...]
Grace, thanksgiving, joy. Eucharisteo."
Voskamp, Ann. One Thousand Gifts, 31-33.
In the original language, 'He gave thanks' reads 'eucharisteo.' The root word of eucharisteo is charis, meaning 'grace.' Jesus took the bread and saw it as grace and gave thanks.
He took the bread and knew it to be gift and gave thanks.
But there is more, and I read it. Eucharisteo, thanksgiving, envelopes the Greek word for grace, charis.
But is also holds its derivative, the reek word chara, meaning 'joy.'[...]
Was this the clue to the quest of all most important?
Deep chara joy is found only at the table of the euCHARisteo - the table of thanksgiving.
I sit there long...wondering...is it that simple? [...] The joy wonder could be here!
Here, in the mess, piercing ache of now, joy might be - unbelievably - possible!
The only place we need see before we die is this place of seeing God, Here and now [...]
Grace, thanksgiving, joy. Eucharisteo."
Voskamp, Ann. One Thousand Gifts, 31-33.
I was on my couch one summer morning beginning a book recommended to me, not unusual. What was unusual, however, was the book itself...inside the cover lay hidden treasures that transformed my life. This book opened my eyes to the long known truth that God is good.
I don't know how I came to be in that place for so long, but I was. You know those days that you just want to be angry or sad or blind to the pain and no matter how often you justify being there you know its wrong. Well that's where I was and I was stubborn, I didn't want to listen to that still small voice. I felt betrayed by Him and by all I grew up knowing...believing. I wasn't sure I was ready to trust again, yet I knew everything would be better if I did. I told myself I'd let it go and let God, but something inside me kept screaming and although I believed I really had "let God," deep down I knew I hadn't. This is where I was when One Thousand Gifts came to me. I had pushed all that emotion so deep inside me that I almost believed I had conquered it, that I was back! But we all know how long that lasts once we let His light shine in our darkest places. Little did I know that this book was the start of all things new. That being real with God was okay and meant healing.
It started with thanks. I didn't start a list, nor did I tell anyone. I just began...slowly... from the beginning. I let God show me the way. Nothing special, just the little things. Rainbows, cold sheets, sunrises, hot coffee on sleepy mornings, sweat-drenched runs that leave you feeling as if you've conquered something, nature, etc. Everytime I seeped back into an angry, painful, apathetic day where I felt small and insignificant God would plant a thought...a thankful thought and let it grow. On days when I couldn't see straight from all the lies Satan was feeding me, I listened to Him through the faces around me who I knew loved and cared for me. I heard Him! I saw Him! I felt Him in the here and now! Ann says it best "His nail-scarred hands cupped my face close, wiped away the tears running down, had eyes to look deep into my brimming ache, and whispered, 'I know. I know.' (87)
The emptiness inside me will always be there, but what has begun to fill the void has turned the sharp pain into a dull ache. I will never be the same...Thank God! I have been in the darkness and do not ever want to go back, but I know I will. That's our nature. The beauty is I know now. I know the key. I know how to fight my way into His light again. I know how to breathe again. For today I have relinquished control (well more like my illusion of control)...I have let God be God. I choose Joy!
This journey has taken me to a new awareness of how unworthy I am to be in His presence, to be so inexpressibly blessed, yet here I am falling in love with my Jesus all over again and soaking in His daily gifts. Thanksgiving has new meaning for me. Looking back to where I've been and to that scary future ahead I am convinced that He is a better Author of my life than I could ever be, that no matter what the circumstance I can choose JOY, that life is a gift and we are meant to celebrate Him, that I don't have to understand, that He loves unconditionally, that He. Is. Good. "Oh the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and how inscrutable his ways! 'For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been His counselor?' 'Or who has given a gift to Him that He might be repaid?' For from Him and through Him are all things. To Him be glory forever. Amen" (Romans 11:33-36).
So here's to my God, my wonderful Savior who is changing me from the inside out, transforming me into the woman He wants me to be and I am glad. I do not deserve Him, none of us do. Life will always be hard, but without Him it is impossible. Thank you God for understanding me and for giving me life. I pray I live in celebration of You so that others may see and that I will be prepared for the ugly days to come. I have entered a new chapter in my spiritual life book, God has "changed my want to" (Moore, Beth. Breaking Free), my passion, my desire. "I want my everyday to make God belly laugh, glad that He gave life to someone who loves the gift, who will use it up and wring it out and drag it around like a favorite sweater" (Niequist, Shauna. Cold Tangerines, 235.) Praise God for healing, for laughter, for pain, for love, for tears, for the unexpected. Thank you Jesus. Eucharisteo.
"Praise and glory and wisdom and thanks and honor and power and strength be to our God for ever and ever. Amen!" Revelation 7:12
I don't know how I came to be in that place for so long, but I was. You know those days that you just want to be angry or sad or blind to the pain and no matter how often you justify being there you know its wrong. Well that's where I was and I was stubborn, I didn't want to listen to that still small voice. I felt betrayed by Him and by all I grew up knowing...believing. I wasn't sure I was ready to trust again, yet I knew everything would be better if I did. I told myself I'd let it go and let God, but something inside me kept screaming and although I believed I really had "let God," deep down I knew I hadn't. This is where I was when One Thousand Gifts came to me. I had pushed all that emotion so deep inside me that I almost believed I had conquered it, that I was back! But we all know how long that lasts once we let His light shine in our darkest places. Little did I know that this book was the start of all things new. That being real with God was okay and meant healing.
It started with thanks. I didn't start a list, nor did I tell anyone. I just began...slowly... from the beginning. I let God show me the way. Nothing special, just the little things. Rainbows, cold sheets, sunrises, hot coffee on sleepy mornings, sweat-drenched runs that leave you feeling as if you've conquered something, nature, etc. Everytime I seeped back into an angry, painful, apathetic day where I felt small and insignificant God would plant a thought...a thankful thought and let it grow. On days when I couldn't see straight from all the lies Satan was feeding me, I listened to Him through the faces around me who I knew loved and cared for me. I heard Him! I saw Him! I felt Him in the here and now! Ann says it best "His nail-scarred hands cupped my face close, wiped away the tears running down, had eyes to look deep into my brimming ache, and whispered, 'I know. I know.' (87)
The emptiness inside me will always be there, but what has begun to fill the void has turned the sharp pain into a dull ache. I will never be the same...Thank God! I have been in the darkness and do not ever want to go back, but I know I will. That's our nature. The beauty is I know now. I know the key. I know how to fight my way into His light again. I know how to breathe again. For today I have relinquished control (well more like my illusion of control)...I have let God be God. I choose Joy!
This journey has taken me to a new awareness of how unworthy I am to be in His presence, to be so inexpressibly blessed, yet here I am falling in love with my Jesus all over again and soaking in His daily gifts. Thanksgiving has new meaning for me. Looking back to where I've been and to that scary future ahead I am convinced that He is a better Author of my life than I could ever be, that no matter what the circumstance I can choose JOY, that life is a gift and we are meant to celebrate Him, that I don't have to understand, that He loves unconditionally, that He. Is. Good. "Oh the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and how inscrutable his ways! 'For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been His counselor?' 'Or who has given a gift to Him that He might be repaid?' For from Him and through Him are all things. To Him be glory forever. Amen" (Romans 11:33-36).
So here's to my God, my wonderful Savior who is changing me from the inside out, transforming me into the woman He wants me to be and I am glad. I do not deserve Him, none of us do. Life will always be hard, but without Him it is impossible. Thank you God for understanding me and for giving me life. I pray I live in celebration of You so that others may see and that I will be prepared for the ugly days to come. I have entered a new chapter in my spiritual life book, God has "changed my want to" (Moore, Beth. Breaking Free), my passion, my desire. "I want my everyday to make God belly laugh, glad that He gave life to someone who loves the gift, who will use it up and wring it out and drag it around like a favorite sweater" (Niequist, Shauna. Cold Tangerines, 235.) Praise God for healing, for laughter, for pain, for love, for tears, for the unexpected. Thank you Jesus. Eucharisteo.
I am so thankful for you , and the fact that you introduced me to this book as well. It is such a simple thought, and yet so powerful to think that by being thankful for the little things, the things that we don't notice all the time can completely change our perspective of God and of life in general.
ReplyDeleteI know that I am thankful for:
1. Technology that allows me to stayed connected with my best friend even though we live thousands of miles apart.
2. Dreams that come in the night, that we remember in the morning. :)
3. Family and Friends that enjoy spending time just talking.